Richard4 Rue was born about 1760 in Kent County, Maryland, a son of Samuel3 (James2, Matthew1) and Olshe (Vansant) Rue, and died on 12 December 1844, aged 84, in Wayne County, Indiana (S314). He married Elizabeth Holman, the daughter of enry and Elizabeth Holeman, in Kentucky about 1784.  Elizabeth was born about 1764, probably in Kent County, Maryland, and died in Wayne County, Indiana on 18 April 1833, age 68 (S314). 

Attached in pdf format is an account of the descendants of Richard Rue and Elizabeth Holman, exclusive of the descendants of their eldest daughter (Mary (Rue) Cox), which was originally published in 2007 as Appendix H in Descendants of John Cox of Abington, Indiana and Joseph Cox of Hampton, Illinois by Ruth Anna Hicks and William J. Utermohlen.

Richard Rue Descendants (pdf)

     Richard Rue’s pension application is set forth below (formatting added):

 On this 15th day of February A.D. 1833 personally appeared in open Court before the Honorable Nathan Smith Sole Judge of the Wayne Probate Court the same being a Court of record now sitting in and for said County of Wayne Indiana Richard Rue a resident of said County of Wayne and State of Indiana aged seventy two years, who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in Order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.  That he entered the service of the United States under the following circumstances under the command of the following named officers and served as hereinafter stated; 

 At a very early age I lost my father who died in Kent County and State of Maryland and being left an orphan I was taken into the family of my brother in law Edward Holman and there brought up a farmer.  Sometime in the year 1774 to the best of my recollection the said Edward Holman removed with his family includingGeorge Holman and myself to the County of Monongahela in the State of Pennsylvania

 Afterwards early in the Spring of the year 1776 the said Edward Holman George Holman and myself descended the Ohio River and settled at the mouth of Kentucky River, then a territory and the surrounding Country a Savage Wilderness.  We planted a small piece of land at the mouth of said River in corn, in a field which had been cleared by one Robert Elliott who had before that time abandoned the Country in consequence of the hostilities of the Indians, who had killed one man and taken two boys prisoners but a Short time before, and carried them to their Towns on the Kentucky river near where Frankfort is now situated.  The prospect looked dangerous on account of which we shortly afterwards removed to McClenan's Station near the spot where Georgetown is now situate.  We tarried here but a short time, and late in the summer or early in the fall of the same year we went to Harodsburgh where we resided until the last of February or the first of March 1777,

  near or about the first of March 1777 when James Ray with William Ray his brother and two hired men Thomas Shores and William Conrad were boiling sugar water and making some improvements for Hugh since Colonel Megary at Shawnee Springs about four miles from Herodsburgh a large party of Indians fell upon them and killed William Ray and took Thomas Shores prisoner.  James Ray since General Ray escaped and apprised the people at the station of their danger  On the next day the fort was besieged by the Indians and a severe battle was fought, all the men capable of bearing arms and doing military duty were formed into a company under the Command of George Rodgers Clark then acting as major and since General Clark.  I was engaged in this battle, James Herod since Col. Herod was our Captain Levi Todd Lieutenant Francis McConnel ensign Edward Holman first serjeant.  In about a month after the first siege the Indians again besieged the fort at Harodsburgh and a hard fought battle ensued in which Francis McConnell our Ensign was killed and Garret Pendegrass fell.  two others were taken prisoners and others were wounded.  I fought in this battle, under the above named officers 

 I entered the service of the United States as a private Soldier and was though a lad enrolled by authority and from that time forward drew my rations as a private Soldier and performed all the duties of a private soldier by standing Centinel night and day subject to the command of my officers. 

 In the Spring of the year 1778 Gen. Clark with one hundred & fifty troops descended the Ohio River as far as the falls and shortly afterwards sent an express to Herodsburgh Ky requesting his friends to raise as many volunteers as possible to join him at the falls of the Ohio in an expedition against the Illinois Indians & French but the number who turned out did not exceed eighty of whom I was one (being still a volunteer in the service under my officers abovenamed) my officer was Levi Todd since Gen. Todd.  We descended the Ohio River in the month of June 1778 and landed at a Creek about three leagues below the mouth of Tennessee river and a little above Massack Creek and by Sunrise next morning took up the line of march for Kaskaskia and after six days hard march by land we crossed the Country and entered the French village about midnight undiscovered and took the magazines and the entire artillery into our possession before the alarm was given.  I remained under the command of General Clark for some time after this but I cannot now recollect the precise time.  Late in the summer or early in the fall I with some others was sent with Col. Lynn to take back the boats which General Clark had left on the Ohio to the falls of said River loaded with provisions ammunition &c. 

 I afterwards returned to Herodsburgh and shortly after my return was in a hard fought Battle between the Whites & Indians at Bowmans Corn crib under the command of Col. Bowman.  In the year 1779 I removed to the falls of Ohio and early in the Spring of the same year Col. Bowman took up the line of march and called on the militia at the falls.  and so I volunteered and with Cap. Patten ascended the Ohio River to join Col. Bowman at the mouth of Licking with detachments of militia from Herodsburgh and Boonsborough.  From thence we marched under Col. Bowman against the Indians at Old Chilicothe on the little Miami river and on the second night after we left Licking we came in sight of the enemy undiscovered.  a hard battle ensued, and we set fire to some of the Indian huts, but were not able to storm the town as we had no field piece  about ten oclock Col Bowman commenced marching homewards having had nine men killed and some wounded.  We had not marched more than 18 miles before the Indians overtook us and another battle ensued in which we stood our ground. 

 In Gen. Clark's expedition shortly after the preceding I served as a private soldier in his army consisting of 970 troops.  this Expedition was directed against the Indian Towns at Pequa and Chilicothe and after a hard contested battle in which the Indians extended their line of battle west more than a mile from the Town, and stood their ground for three hours or more, until the field piece was brought to bear upon them a few discharges of which dispersed the Indians and the army entered the main Town slept there all night and next day destroyed all the Indian corn to be found at Pequa Town and burnt down the houses and the corn at Chilicothe after which the army returned to the falls of Ohio about the last of August 1780. 

 up to this date I had served as a private soldier from the first of March 1777 with but very little intermission and always a volunteer a period of three years and five months, during the whole of which said time I was constantly on duty as a private soldier except perhaps nine months, makin a total period of actual service from the year 1777 to the year 1780 of two years and eight months. 

 In 1781 I in Company with George Holman and Evan Hinton while passing from Louisville Ky. to Boons old station in conveying barrels to salt meat in we were captured by Simon Girty and thirteen chosen Indian warriors  I was detained a prisoner upwards of three years.  Hinton was killed and George Holman and I made our escape.  I consider myself as having been in the service of my Country for the whole time I was detained a prisoner the same being upwards of three years and for which I claim a pension as a private soldier the grade in which I always served. 

 After returning from captivity I volunteered and served another tour of about three months as a private soldier in a detachment of troops commanded by Gen Clark on an expedition agianst the Indians on the upper wabash River. 

 In conclusion to sum up the whole I repeat that I served as a private volunteer soldier under the command of the officers above named between the first of March 1777 and the first of August 1780 two years and eight months actual service.  that in the year 1781 I was taken prisoner by the Indians and detained upwards of three years all of which time I consider as being equivalent to actual service being at the time I was captured in active service in the service of the United States.  and a tour of three months on the Wabash after returning from Captivity making in the whole a period of Five years and eleven months of actual service as a private soldier and for which I claim a pension.  I have no documentary evidence of my services and know of no person except George Holman who can testify to my service.  I do hereby relinquish every claim whatsoever to a pension or annuity except the present and I hereby declare that my name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any State      Richard Rue

Back to Home Page

Bill Utermohlen, 1916 Windsor Road, Alexandria, VA 22307;